Ladies and Gentlemen, we present to you, another WONDERFUL creation by the talented Kristen Kelley! (Follow her on Instagram/Twitter @mrskelley0308)
This time, she has veganised a version of traditional Maltese Baked Rice – Ross Il-Forn.
The common recipe contains both animal flesh and their secretions (egg and dairy).
So, here we offer a cruelty free, sustainable and healthy version of this mouth-watering meal! We hope you love it! Now let’s get started on the recipe! 🙂
Ross Il-Forn (Baked Rice) (Serves 4-6)
Cook Time: 30 minutes, Prep Time: 40 minutes, Total Time: about 70 minutes.
200g long grain rice
125g Brown Lentils (or vegan beef mince)
20 ml. Braggs Liquid Aminos, Soy Sauce, or Gluten Free Tamari
1/2 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
200g chopped tomatoes (canned or fresh is fine)
200g passata (or crushed tomatoes)
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
2.5ml baking powder
Oil for frying (or you can use water if you are watching fats!)
150ml homemade vegan white cheese sauce (or 250ml Tofutti shredded cheese)
White Cheese Sauce (recipe makes 500g):
1/2 white onion (about 100g)
200g cubed raw white potato (about 1 medium potato)
1 clove of garlic
15ml miso paste (white miso preferred)
15ml nutritional yeast
50ml unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
5 ml mustard powder
5 ml salt
2 flax eggs
2.5ml. black salt
30ml ground flaxseed
- Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- Rinse lentils. Place in pot with 350 ml water and 20ml. Braggs Liquid Aminos, Soy Sauce, or Tamari. Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until soft. Pay attention to this pot and if water gets low before your lentils get soft, add a bit more water. Set aside when done.
- Par boil rice by filling a medium pot with 400ml water and boil. Add rice and reduce water to simmer for 15 minutes. Drain rice and set aside.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare white cheese sauce (if making) by boiling onion, garlic, and potato in 200ml of water until soft (approximately 5-8 minutes). DO NOT DRAIN. Pour entire contents of pot into your blender. Blend with cashews, nutritional yeast, plant milk, mustard powder, and salt. Set aside .
- Add about 30ml oil or water to pan, along with lentils (or mince). Cook for 5 minutes and then add tomato paste. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add 30ml olive oil and fry onion and garlic with a pinch of salt on medium heat for five minutes.
- Add back the lentils or mince and add the chopped tomatoes, passata, and 15ml salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, make flax eggs by adding 30 ml ground flaxseed to 180ml hot water. Stir in 2.5 ml black salt. Allow to sit. Stir in baking powder.
- Add rice, cheese sauce/Tofutti cheese (leave 125ml of tofutti cheese aside, if using, to place on top) and flax eggs to the lentils (or mince) and tomato sauce mixture.
- Add the mixture in a medium-sized baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with nutritional yeast and salt, or place the remaining Tofutti cheese on top, if using.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crispy and brown around the edges. Let sit about 5 minutes before cutting into squares.ENJOY!